Skip to main content
Sole Bay Car Spares, Blyth Road, Southwold, Suffolk, IP18 6AZ


Customer Questions

As a customer-orientated business, we aim to provide you with a service that exceeds your every expectation. If your question is not answered below, please give us a call and we’ll be happy to provide all the answers you need before we buy your scrap car.

How long does it take to remove my car?

Usually, it takes between 5 - 10 minutes to assess your car, load it onto our recovery vehicle, and take care of the paperwork. It may take longer depending on the location of your car and how difficult it is to remove.

Do I need to be present when you arrive?

Someone will need to be present in order for us to complete the paperwork and to also take a copy of the Photo I.D / Utility Bill.

What do I do with the log book/v5 registration document for my scrapped car?

All you need to do is detach one small section of the log book, sign it and send it off to the DVLA (the address is on the back). If you need to ask any questions, you can ask our drivers who will be happy to help you. Or give us a call and we’ll provide you with all the information and advice you need.

What if I do not have a log book/V5 document?

Don’t worry, it’s not a problem. You'll need to notify DVLA in writing that you have disposed of your vehicle with us. A 'Certificate of Destruction' will also be issued.

Do you inform the DVLA?

We take your vehicle to our Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) where it's then recycled. Your car is then de-registered with the DVLA and a Certificate of Destruction is issued.

Do I have to inform the DVLA?

Our driver will leave section 9 of the V5C (log book) with you. You need to sign this and send it off to the DVLA.

How do I declare my car is off the road (SORN)?

You can also complete a SORN online, in the post office, or via telephone. If you are unsure about completing a SORN, ask one of our drivers who will be more than happy to help you. If there's any remaining tax left on the vehicle then you will automatically receive a refund from DVLA when the section 9 is sent off or a COD is issued.

How do I receive payment for my car?

Methods of payments for buying scrap vehicles are either a cheque payment on collection or a direct bank transfer.

We can no longer pay cash under the requirements of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act.

What is a Waste Carriers License?

A Waste Carriers License (WCL) is a license from the Environmental Agency. Anyone who carries waste has to have a WCL by law. All of our drivers have valid and up-to-date WCLs.

What if I have lost the keys to my car?

Just leave it to us – We'll always do our best when collecting any vehicle. If the vehicle is accessible then we'll collect it!

What is an ELV?

ELV stands for ‘End of Life Vehicle’. That means it is a vehicle that has reached the end of its life naturally.

What do I do with the previous history of the car?

Any previous history can be left in the glove box or kept with the V5 document.


Browse the wide range of items, listed on our eBay page

Get In Touch!

Get in touch today – we're here to make sure you find exactly what you need.

Environmental Policy

Our environmentally friendly approach to the recycling of scrap cars and other vehicles has been recognised by the government’s official Environment Agency by making us an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF). This guarantees that our practices are carried out to the highest level of environmental standards and we are licensed to issue a formal Certificate of Destruction (COD) to authenticate this.

e agency logo